Blog background

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learning is fun

I was just thinking that it's important to not just focus on reading but other areas of knowledge as well, like math for example. So many kids struggle with math in school so I think it's a good idea to lay down the foundation for math concepts early through informal teaching at home. I was one of the kids struggling with math and thought math really sucked. One time I was so frustrated with my homework that I threw the math book on the floor and took off running in the forest behind my house. I hate running but that's how mad I was! I didn't get it until college and then I even had A's in all my math classes. I just wish I would have gotten it earlier and not struggled so much. Early math activities for young children may include; numbers, counting, simple addition, puzzles, shapes, patterns, the concept of more or less and bigger or smaller, color by number sheets, sorting, comparing, etc. Most important of all - make math fun and don't force it!

Javari told me today that 2+2 is 4. He sounded so proud when he said that. :)

What do you like to teach your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment